Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I,m new here and new to this flash tuning thing...I been busy reading alot here and still draw a blank...The questions aren,t answered...Why isn,t there a proper instruction manual with this product????...U spend this kind of money and u get only half of what u paid for!!!!...Why put adjustable parameters on here if most of us have no clue as to what,,where,,,how to do this...This is an issue that should be resolved...Like many others i don,t want to ruin my engine or tranny...

Thanks for your time...

Comment

Originally posted by SCT Escape 3.0
      I,m new here and new to this flash tuning thing...I been busy reading alot here and still draw a blank...The questions aren,t answered...Why isn,t there a proper instruction manual with this product????...U spend this kind of money and u get only half of what u paid for!!!!...Why put adjustable parameters on here if most of us have no clue as to what,,where,,,how to do this...This is an issue that should be resolved...Like many others i don,t want to ruin my engine or tranny...

Thanks for your time...
      When we created the XCal1 flash device, it was an reflash replacement for our chip, no user options. The Xcal2 flash device, can work on 12,000 different pcm codes, and at least 20 different vehicle lines. The adjustments for each vehicle, will be different.

Customers wanted to have user options for fuel, timing/spark, shift points, and shift pressure. So we have added that functionality to the Xcal2, (and livewire units)

I will look into having descriptions for the adjustments added to the instruction manual. What do you feel you have paid for, but not received? The user options can be a touchy subject, since the dealer has the ability to include them, or not include them when they create your tune files and program your custom tuned XCal2. They also have the ability to set the ranges of adjusment, so for example, you may not be able to add timing or remove fuel (to protect the engine) on your device, but another cusomers device will have those options.

Ryan

Comment

Hi thanks for repling Ryan...I feel the need for information on what to do with these added features...And how they can help our vehicles go faster..Don,t get me wrong...Its a fantastic tool..But siting infront of it and not knowing what spark 0-2000,,,,2000-4000 is doesn,t help...Also should i increase or decrease WOT shift...Just some general guidelines for the users would be good...Just like the first time i bought my first adjustable fuel pressure regulator..It gave instructions on what to try...Go up a couple of pounds and see what happens...Then go down and see what happens...Just some info on these features would be great...I just feel like i,m in the dark and have to keep bugging Torrie at Fast Parts Network to explain to me what these items are and what to try...Mind u he has been great!!!!!...

Thanks for your time.

Jeff.S

Comment

Originally posted by Justin@VMP
          If you don't go back to stock first and the dealer reflashes your computer there will be no negative side effects, other than your x-cal2 no longer working on your car until it is sent back to SCT for unlocking (with documentation).

Justin,
          thanks for the quick response. So, if I understand you correctly, by not going back to stock and getting flashed by the dealer, my tune won't be affected but the Xcal2 will no longer work or recognize my PCM. If this happens do I send it back to Doug at Bamachips, to SCT or can a local SCT dealer unlock it? The reason I don't want to go back to stock is because I have a Steeda CAI with a 90mm MAF which needs the tune to run properly. Thanks.

Comment

My suggestion would be to add a troubleshooting section to the .pdf manual on this forum.

Comment

I agree

I agree that the instructions, particularly for laymen, are very inadequate. The pdf helped a bit, but still leaves huge knowledge gaps.

Spark 0-2000, or 2000-4000, or 4000-8000. What does this mean? 07 Mustang GT, what should I use? 4:10 gears, 93 octane, and cold air intake.

I notice after the highest spark setting option it says, "WOT Air/Fuel". I don't know what this means? You've got to define this stuff, and how to generally apply it. I wrap out the rpm's, and "bam", the rpm cutout kicks in; that's not smooth shifting. So how do you set the shift point? Yup, should be rpm based.

Doug at BamaChips talked about getting the code from the DTC menu, so you don't end up with a car that won't start after going to the shop. Well, I've already used the device, and I don't see DTC Menu come up. How do I find the code?

You really must have a far better manual for the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by fc103
                I agree that the instructions, particularly for laymen, are very inadequate. The pdf helped a bit, but still leaves huge knowledge gaps.

Spark 0-2000, or 2000-4000, or 4000-8000. What does this mean? 07 Mustang GT, what should I use? 4:10 gears, 93 octane, and cold air intake.

I notice after the highest spark setting option it says, "WOT Air/Fuel". I don't know what this means? You've got to define this stuff, and how to generally apply it. I wrap out the rpm's, and "bam", the rpm cutout kicks in; that's not smooth shifting. So how do you set the shift point? Yup, should be rpm based.

Doug at BamaChips talked about getting the code from the DTC menu, so you don't end up with a car that won't start after going to the shop. Well, I've already used the device, and I don't see DTC Menu come up. How do I find the code?

You really must have a far better manual for the customer.
                Did you buy a custom tuner or the pre-loaded device? If you bought it custom I would check with the dealer, but in most cases the tune should already be set up for max performance unless you have a specific reason to make a change. Thats how I send my stuff out.

We can't change how Ford writes the code in the ECU. Its both RPM and MPH based, with MPH sometimes taking precdent due to NV learning.

Doug is talking about reading out the strategy, which is under the vehicle info menu.

If you don't understand what the parameters do or don't have any data that supports making a change then just leave them a lone.

You did mention hitting a rev limiter during WOT shifts, answer my first question and then we can see where to go from there.
                Justin Starkey
                VMP Tuning - SCT Ford & GM Tuner - Mobile Dynojet 224xLC, Mustang GT V6 Shelby GT500 F150 4.2 4.6 5.4
                Phone: 321-206-9369
                Email: Justin@VMPTuning.com
                Shop vehicles:
                2007 Shelby GT500 with FRPP Ford Racing Blower Upgrade 590RWHP with stock pulley, FRPP intake, and VMP Tune
                2006 F250 CC 4x4 6.0L 14.3 @ 93
                2000 Mustang 3.8 A4 TT 450RWHP/475RWTQ 10.9@127 @17psi stock motor
                2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 15psi 395RWHP/374RWTQ wife's car

Comment

Justin, appreciate you writing.
                  It's Brenspeed. I guess I have it back to what they programmed. I took it on the road and it ran and shifted fine with 93 octane setting and 92 octane fuel (highest sold here, and I had no pinging).

I can't find the "strategy". How do I find it? There's no generic menu to pull this from. Doug is talking about reading out the strategy, which is under the vehicle info menu.

Here is what I get when I plug in the tuner:
                  Brenspeed.com
                  Program Vehicle
                  Sel to begin
                  up and down arrows "to scroll"
                  program option
                  -return to stock
                  -install tune
                  select tune
                  87 octane
                  91 octane
                  93 octane
                  change optional parameters?
                  select-yes
                  cancel-no
                  keep previously entered options?
                  select-yes
                  cancel-no
                  select- program
                  verifying stock calibration
                  "erasing module"
                  "downloading ECM"

Comment

Hit the down arrow and you'll find more menus.
                    Justin Starkey
                    VMP Tuning - SCT Ford & GM Tuner - Mobile Dynojet 224xLC, Mustang GT V6 Shelby GT500 F150 4.2 4.6 5.4
                    Phone: 321-206-9369
                    Email: Justin@VMPTuning.com
                    Shop vehicles:
                    2007 Shelby GT500 with FRPP Ford Racing Blower Upgrade 590RWHP with stock pulley, FRPP intake, and VMP Tune
                    2006 F250 CC 4x4 6.0L 14.3 @ 93
                    2000 Mustang 3.8 A4 TT 450RWHP/475RWTQ 10.9@127 @17psi stock motor
                    2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 15psi 395RWHP/374RWTQ wife's car

Comment

When you first plug in the unit, you will actually have the ability to scroll down from where it says "program vehicle," so don't press select when you power it on. Instead, scroll down and you will have a "vehicle info", or "DTC Data Menu" option. After selecting that you will be able to scroll down again until the "Read Vehicle Strategy" option comes up. You press select there and it will prompt you to "turn key on do not start" and it will read the code. Hope this helps.
                      -Michael

Comment

thx

Thank you boss, that'll work.

Comment

Working...
                        X